Portfolios are a key professional tool for individuals in professions such as art, design, fashion, photography and more. In years past, carrying a physical portfolio with you for job interviews and other professional situations was the norm. However, with the rise of the internet, physical portfolios have become pretty much obsolete, and online portfolios have taken their place. The perfect, professional portfolio website is critical to your professional success. This makes selecting the right portfolio builder essential.
Online portfolio builders simplify the otherwise complicated process of setting up your portfolio website, securing hosting, designing, customizing and maintaining your online portfolio website. But with the plethora of tools available on the market, it can be difficult to choose sometimes. This article compiles the 6 best portfolio builders for 2022 and who they are the best for. So, let us dive in!
Try the Best Portfolio Builder for you in 2022
Pixpa is an all-in-one website builder platform designed to simplify portfolio building for photographers, artists, freelancers and business owners. It is an easy-to-use, no-code platform that can help you build a feature-rich, professional online portfolio website effortlessly and without touching a single line of code. Pixpa offers multiple gallery options, including e-commerce-enabled galleries, client proofing tools, integrated SEO and marketing features, a comprehensive blogging platform and much more.
- Beginner-friendly, no-code portfolio builder platform.
- A wide range of professional, mobile-optimized portfolio website templates.
- E-commerce galleries enable creators to use their online portfolio website as an effective e-commerce and business platform.
- Client galleries and mobile gallery apps simplify the client proofing workflow for photographers.
- Comprehensive blogging platform with a WYSIWYG editor.
- Extensive and integrated SEO and marketing features.
- 24×7 customer support through email and LiveChat.
Who is Pixpa best for?
Pixpa is a beginner-friendly platform that simplifies portfolio building for everyone. You don’t need to be highly tech-savvy or have coding skills to work with Pixpa. Additionally, it offers extensive features at a very affordable price point. Pixpa’s pricing is among the most affordable in the market. The stand-out feature is the stellar customer support, with an average response time of under 3 minutes. If you are looking for a portfolio builder with a user-friendly interface, rich features, affordable price points and a customer-focused approach, Pixpa is perfect for you.
- Basic – $3/month
- Creator – $7/ month
- Professional – $10/ month
- Advanced – $16/month
Squarespace is one of the most well-known portfolio builders, and much of it is thanks to its substantial presence on YouTube and other social media platforms by way of sponsorships and ads. However, Squarespace is not just good at marketing. It offers a very versatile and comprehensive portfolio building platform with a wide array of templates and easy-to-use tools. Squarespace also provides accelerated mobile pages (AMP) to ensure faster loading, which is a great bonus.
- No-code platform, which is both user-friendly and versatile.
- Wide array of well-designed, professional and minimalist templates.
- Custom domain names available with all pricing plans
- Uncomplicated and straightforward pricing with no hidden fees.
- Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) to ensure fast loading.
Who is Squarespace best for?
Squarespace is perfect for you if you are looking for a versatile, no-code website builder for your online portfolio website. While it is one of the more expensive options as far as portfolio builders are concerned, it also offers one of the widest range of features. So if you want a feature-rich portfolio website and price isn’t an issue, Squarespace is for you.
- Personal – $14/month
- Business – $23/month
- Basic Commerce – $27/month
- Advanced Commerce – $49/month
Wix is another immensely popular portfolio builder and much of its popularity stems from its intuitive design and the extent of creative freedom it offers. The platform uses a drag and drop interface and fully-customizable templates to give its users a high degree of flexibility and customization options. Another unique and popular feature of Wix is the Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI) which can automate a lot of the website building process using AI for users who desire a fast website building solution.
- Wix offers its users a high degree of creative freedom and flexibility with a comprehensive drag-and-drop design interface.
- ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) makes website building easy and intuitive.
- Mobile editor simplifies the process of mobile-optimizing your online portfolio.
- The Wix app market comes loaded with hundreds of free and paid integrations for added functionality.
- SEO Wiz tool automates a lot of SEO processes.
Who is Wix best for?
Wix’s design flexibility is one of its main selling points. The website builder offers a great deal of creative control and allows you to customize your website exactly how you want. The relatively unstructured approach may not be for everyone, but if you are looking for an easy solution for creating a completely custom and unique website, Wix is the answer.
- Combo – $14/month
- Unlimited – $18/month
- Pro – $23/month
- VIP – $39/month
GoDaddy is an old and very recognizable name for web hosting and domain registration. It also offers a full-fledged website building platform perfect for portfolio building. The interface is straightforward and easy to use, and the platform provides a reasonably wide range of templates for different categories. It also offers a three-in-one solution for website building, hosting and domain registration which can be a great deal.
- A three-in-one solution with website building, hosting, and domain registration available in a single platform.
- Offers ADI options to simplify further and speed up the website building process.
- Simple but functional design. Easy to use and understand.
- A good range of templates for different categories, including blogs, real estate websites, online stores, etc.
- Freemium model is available where you can build a website for free with limited features and ads.
Who is GoDaddy best for?
If you are someone who doesn’t want to look for separate providers for your portfolio building, hosting, and domain registration needs, GoDaddy can be a good option. The platform is pretty limited in terms of customization but makes up for it with ease of use and the simple and functional design. GoDaddy is also an old brand name which can give some users a sense of reliability.
- Basic – $9.99/month
- Standard – $14.99/month
- Premium – $19.99/month
- E-commerce – $24.99/month
Zyro is a relatively new entrant to the website and portfolio builder market. This is a website builder platform that prioritizes speed and automation. To that end, it offers pre-designed templates, automatic content generation through AI-powered tools, an AI-driven logo maker and integrations with stock photo website Unsplash. Zyro essentially aims to simplify and speed up the portfolio website building process for users by automating a lot of individual steps and processes through AI and smart tools.
- Zyro prioritizes speed and automation which makes website building easy and more efficient.
- AI-powered content generation tools can create SEO-friendly content copy and logo for your website.
- AI heatmaps to show which parts of your website are likely to get more clicks to help you promote your website better.
- Professionally designed templates tailor-made for portfolio websites.
Who is Zyro best for?
For users looking to create a portfolio website quickly and without hassle, Zyro can be a godsend. The structured templates and high degree of automation make website building faster and more efficient. However, this level of automation does affect the overall flexibility and customizability you get. So, if you want a portfolio website that you can get up and running in as little time as possible and customization is not a huge issue for you, Zyro is the perfect portfolio builder for you.
- Website – $2.90/month
- Online Store – $8.90/month
- Advanced Store – $15.90/month
Weebly is a simple and intuitive website and portfolio building solution for individuals, freelancers and businesses. Its drag-and-drop website design interface is well organized and designed to be easy to use and user-friendly. Weebly is one of the oldest names in the website building industry and has been the website builder of choice for thousands of users for many years.
- Drag and drop website building interface. Beginner friendly and intuitive.
- Over 50+ professional website templates.
- Freemium model with free plans lets you create a website for free by allowing ads.
- Supports the use of custom code and overrides for advanced customization.
- Well-optimized to handle larger websites.
Who is Weebly best for?
Weebly’s ease of use and drag-and-drop interface is perfect for beginners and users who are not very tech-savvy. The structured templates may seem a little restrictive for more advanced users. Still, for those looking for a quick and easy solution for building their portfolio website, Weebly is the perfect portfolio builder.
- Connect – $5/month
- Pro – $12/month
- Business – $25/month
- Business Plus – $38/month
These were our top picks for the best portfolio website builders in 2022! These portfolio builders stand out from the crowd in offering the most comprehensive and well-designed tools for portfolio building. However, the goal should not be to choose the best portfolio builder but to select the right one. Different people have different expectations and requirements from their portfolio website. Always be clear about what you want and require in your online portfolio website because that will help you choose the correct tool for your needs. Any portfolio builder that most closely matches your budget and requirements is the best portfolio builder for you. We hope this article helps you narrow your search down!
Guest Author Bio: Anisha Singh
Anisha Singh has an experience of 10+ years in graphic design and content creation. She is currently working on content strategy and creation for Pixpa.com, a website builder for photographers, creators & small businesses.